The first of several recipes shared by my book club friends.
Clafoutis is a traditional French dessert. This dessert can be combined with chocolate, almonds and fruits such as blueberries, cherries, and plums. This dessert can be paired with coffee or tea.
Submitted by Hee Jung, who is a professor at our local university.
Fruits (pick one):
6-8 ounces blueberries (fresh)
12 oz cherries (frozen or fresh, seeds removed)
1 lb plums (cut in half, seeds removed)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup whole milk (2% works)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Butter, for the Dutch oven or ovenproof dish
Powder sugar (for dusting).
Whipped cream (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 5-quart Dutch oven (or ovenproof baking dish). Spread the fruits evenly over the bottom (for plums, bake for 5 min).
- In a separate bowl, briefly mix the mild and vanilla extract. Set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy using electric mixer such as Kitchen Aid.
- Add the flour into the fluffy egg/sugar mixture a little at a time and mix gently.
- To the fluffy egg/sugar/flour mixture, pour the milk/vanilla extract, and whisk lightly.
- Pour the batter into the Dutch oven (or ovenproof dish) containing the fruits.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden-brown. Cool it for 5 min.
- Dust with powder sugar and serve immediately with whipped cream.