1. I normally don’t complain about my personal comfort at work, but earlier this week I had the maintenance manager walk into my office, which was about 10 degrees colder than the hallway. When the wind blows from the south, it passes right through the 50 year old window by my desk and as a result, my office is very cold. My work colleagues literally stand in the hallway to talk to me because they can feel the temperature differential the moment they take a step in.
My actions spawned a flurry of activity – plastic sheeting was placed over the window (only slightly effective, but better than nothing), the HVAC folks were brought in (the air supply damper to my office was essentially closed), measurements taken for a new window, and thermostat control changes were made. Lesson learned - sometimes you just have to ask.
Even so, today, the wind is yet again blowing from the south. My office was 56 degF, even with a portable heater running below the desk, so I relocated to a temporary office across the hall. I can’t even imagine what it will be like next week.
2. The local schools decided to cancel school yesterday due to the cold temperatures and dangerous wind chills. Thing is, it’s just as cold today and yup, they are back in school. I wonder what will happen next week as it is forecasted to be even colder? I bet they won’t cancel school again.
3. My friend, Jill, is hosting a recipe exchange on Sunday. I think I will bring a cheesy bacon-leek pasta dish and (for something completely different) cold marinated tofu.
4. My daughter has declared she wants to pursue Equine Studies in college. While I don’t know what one does with such a degree, I’m glad she has chosen something she has a great passion for and we can get focused on the college search.
5. Last Sunday’s morning run was cold but picturesque – I was able to enjoy a beautiful sunrise, fresh snow covered trails along a babbling stream and two great blue herons. This reminds me of a quote from that Walter Mitty Movie. The photographer, waiting to photograph a snow leopard states “Beautiful things don't ask for attention”. I’ll add my two cents and include “Sometime you have to seek them out.”
|Heading out for a Cold Run|